According to tradition, the Archdiocese of Braga dates back from the 3rd century; but history only confirms its existence since the year 400. The present building was built over on another religious building that was possibly the previous cathedral.
It was with Bishop Pedro (1070-1093) that began the building of the current cathedral. After him almost all his successors wanted to leave their mark, whether in small changes or major works.
The Diocesan administrators also followed this trend in sede vacante periods.
It is for this reason that from the original building little more is left than the implementation and the overall project.