St.ª LUZIA TEMPLE
Viana do Castelo
The building works of the sanctuary on the hilltop of Santa Luzia started in 1904 and were completed in 1959, by the initiative of Santa Luzia Brotherhood, the entity responsible for the monument.
The Monument-Temple glorifies the name of Santa Luzia (Saint Lucy), to whom in 1882 the Cavalry Captain Luis de Sousa Andrade resorts to, in the former chapel of Santa Luzia, stricken with severe eye-trouble.
Healed, he establishes the Confraria (Brotherhood) of Santa Luzia, in order to thank for his recovery.
Previous to the temple, there was a small medieval chapel dedicated to Santa Luzia, the Patron Saint of Sight, depicted holding a dish or a plate with two eyes on it.